Pages

Wednesday 27 July 2016

My top tips

My top tips:

I look awful, but a picture during my c-section.

I wanted to do a post highlighting my top-tips for mummies undergoing a caesarean – some of these tips could also apply to other methods of delivery too; I have written these tips based on my own c-section experience and advice I was given, hope that you find them helpful! 

·      Prepare yourself mentally!

Whether it’s talking to your doctor, midwife, friends or family don’t be shy when it comes to asking what to expect throughout your surgery and recovery. Theres nothing worse than feeling unprepared or uninformed about the procedure your about to undergo, and in fact if it is your first time having a caesarean the unknown can make the whole experience feel extremely daunting and not to mention intimidating. So don’t be nervous about asking what to expect: what you’ll here, what you’ll feel during the surgery and what is likely to happen after - receiving information on what will take place on the day of your delivery can create a more relaxed environment for yourself and your birthing partner. 

·      Take loads of pictures:

Taking pictures before, during and after your delivery is a great way to remember the day your baby was born; and are great to look back on in the future. 
Typically for c-section mummies the medication you are given can have a major effect on your memory, your memory may be very faint so trying to remember what happened post surgery can sometimes be incredibly difficult (or at least is was for me) – so all the pictures that are taken of your little ones arrival can help you to piece everything together! So whether it’s your birthing partner or the theatre team holding the camera, be sure to take tones of pictures!

·      Keep your hospital wardrobe comfy:

This tip for me is one of the most important – especially is your having a caesarian! Ensure that you pack clothing that is comfy into your hospital bag - items that are not going to irritate your incision, try and keep your clothing loose; for example my outfit of choice - maternity leggings, because without a bump they have a high waist band, so therefore steering clear of my wound and a maternity top – which was nice and baggy, so again it wasn’t restricting or irritating to my scar; glamourous right? haha.
I would recommend that you pack larger underwear ‘full briefs’ or caesarian knickers this is because they don't sit along the incision line rubbing and causing irritation.

·      Don’t be hard on yourself - take time to recover:

This tip speaks for itself don’t be hard on yourself! You’ve just had or are going to have major surgery, so don't put to much pressure on yourself! No one recovers at the same speed; so if it takes longer for you to be up and about, or you require more pain relief; then so be it – just remember to take it easy!

·      Get up and walk:

When the time comes, get up and walk! Try to walk frequently, even if it’s a few laps around your ward or hospital a day, or even to the bathroom – either way it’s a major achievement! For me walking made me feel ‘normal’ again, after being immobile for so long, once I had finally managed to climb up out of bed I was finally able to tend to my daughter!!

·      Don’t be afraid to ask for help:

Asking for help can strongly aid your recovery, whether its asking someone to help you to the bathroom, into the shower or to simply tie your shoe; don't be afraid to ask friends, family or your partner for help – don’t over do it, you’ve just had major surgery. Take the time to recover and enjoy your baby!


I hope you found my tips helpful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment