Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2016

Fertility complications

Falling pregnant:

My perfect little family. <3
I wanted to do a post talking about my problem’s with fertility, I’ve very briefly mentioned the subject in previous post's and I guess I’ve avoided going in depth about the whole situation not only on my blog, but also in ‘real life’, it’s not really a subject that tends to be bought up in daily conversations – but due to me kind of discussing it in others post’s I thought it was time to actually talk about my struggles with fertility. As I am going in depth there will be some gross bit's and chats about periods. (Just a warning). 

It all started when I was around 13, the problems didn't start instantly – I had been having my monthly cycle for nearly 2 years before any issues cropped up. Your probably thinking “well how did you come to find something wasn't right?” being completely honest I didn't realise that anything was wrong; my cycle was my cycle and had been the same since it began at 11. However each time I was in complete and utter agony and it came down to when ‘mother nature’ decided to visit - my cycle was very irregular, it would result in me being in a ball on the floor, violently vomiting unable to keep anything down and going through several pads an hour (lovely right?) Due to this I was having quite a bit of time off school – which isn’t great…obviously.. 
Fast forward a few months, after many visits to the doctors I was finally referred to a gynaecologist in hope to resolve the situation – although this wasn’t the case being completely honest I was just placed on several different contraceptives and given a possible diagnosis of ‘endometriosis’. In actual fact the contraceptives I was given made everything a whole lot worse, so I decided to stop them and continue on with the ordinary theme of my cycle, agony, vomiting and being unable to leave my house due to numerous pad changes in a short space of time – how fun! 
Moving on a few years to when I turned 18, things had improved they weren’t great but the vomiting had stopped and instead I was just extremely nauseous during each cycle; but the pain and irregularities were still present. :(  
So after around a total of 5 years of on going problems, I finally decided to see another doctor at my local GP surgery, hoping they could help she made the decision to refer me to a different gynaecologist; amazingly this particular gynaecologist was the person who performed my mums caesarean to deliver me, crazy right?! 

Anyway after many appointments with him, many discussions and scans he finally came down to the conclusion that the only way to discover what was causing the issues was to perform a laparoscopy so he could have a better look at what was going on inside – a laparoscopy is a medical procedure that allows a surgeon to look inside your abdomen or pelvis without having to create a large incision...the thought of going under the knife at the time petrified me; but at least I would finally have answers! 

The day of my surgery/laparoscopy finally came; I was accompanied by my mum and Zachary to the hospital. I remember pretty much the whole build up to the operation and after – we were sat in the waiting room at the 'William Harvey Hospital' waiting for my name to be called and for me to be taken down to theatre, I was the youngest person in the waiting room, the other ladies looked almost baffled as to why I was there, finally my name was called after hours of waiting, I said goodbye to Zachary at the door of the theatre and burst into tears – my mum came in with me and gave me a big cuddle, the IV/cannula was placed into my hand and I fell asleep...after the procedure I woke up a bit worse for wear to be honest, I stayed at the hospital for a few hours and was discharged that afternoon; I thought I would mention that the operation and recovery wasn’t bad at all, just slightly uncomfortable – just in case anyone reading this post is scheduled to have the procedure done. Good luck! ♡ 

A few week's after my appointment I returned to the hospital for a follow up appointment and the results of my surgery. I remember the conversation regarding my results as clear as day. So unfortunately they found several problems during the procedure, the first thing they discovered and diagnosed was endometriosis which is something to do with tissue and the lining of your womb - they also discovered that my fallopian tube on the left hand side was severally narrow due to scaring and that my ovary also on the left hand side was affected by the scaring – therefor meaning that it may not be working; and they couldn't look more in depth into it just in case they caused permanent damage if it was working. My gynaecologist couldn't tell me for sure whether my right ovary was working either – although due to it’s appearance he said he wasn't convinced it was. 
I was told that the possibility of me ever having children or conceiving naturally was slim, and because of the narrowing in my fallopian tube I was at a high risk of having ectopic pregnancies – I was booked into a fertility clinic for the January (my procedure was in the March/April before) and due to start fertility treatment at the same time... I'll never forget that conversation, after all, all I wanted was my own family; I was heartbroken.
 He also informed me that starting to try for a baby straight away would be a great plan as the longer I waited the worse the scaring would become and the chance's became slimmer and slimmer.


That evening I sat down with Zachary (and my mum – I was an emotional wreck so needed her assistance haha) and discussed with him the results of my operation and what the consultant had suggested. He was beyond supportive, so understanding, so caring, I couldn’t be any luckier. 


A few months later my period was late, I didn't think anything of it – after all my period was never on time. A week after my period was due my sister convinced me to take a test, to be honest I didn't want to get my hopes up, I remember placing the test on my desk wrapped in tissue and under the packaging, timing the minutes that were stated on the package – I was repeating to myself “don’t get your hopes up, it’s only been a few months” I picked up the test, slowly removing the tissue and there they were, two faint pink lines; I couldn’t believe my eyes I called my sister up stairs and into my room asking her to double check I wasn't seeing things, before we headed over sainsburys to buy several more tests. After all the tests came back positive I rang Zachary to tell him the news (he was at work) I was crying my eyes out, filled with so many emotions, I was happy, scared, surprised, over joyed and relieved. I was pregnant, my dream of having my own family was coming true. (Then of course we told our parents haha).

At 12 week's we announced my pregnancy to extended family and friends, we posted our announcement on Facebook (the place were everyone announces there pregnancy haha)


“After being told earlier this year that the possibility of having children was slim and that there was a chance it would never happen. I am thrilled to announce that myself and Zachary are expecting our first baby. I’m over the moon and cannot put into words how happy I am.” 


The support, congratulations and well wishes we received were amazing, so loving and kind. Unfortunately there were a few particular individuals, our 'friends' who were the complete opposite and on seeing our announcement decided to instantly text me accusing me of ‘copying them’ or ‘falling pregnant to trap Zachary’ and accused me of ‘lying about my fertility problems’ great friends, right? 

Other than those negative comments every single person that saw our announcement were and still are extremely supportive and happy for us; and we couldn’t be more grateful. 

I uploaded a post titled “love at first sight” talking more in depth into finding out about being pregnant and my pregnancy journey – so if that interests you, be sure to check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment